Top
Close
Follow Us ON
Writers

© 2017 AllDenverSports.com

Advertise Here Flag

Denver Broncos' linebacker Danny Trevathan ready for a breakout season?

The Denver Broncos took a huge a blow to their defense when all-pro linebacker Von Miller was suspended for the first six games of the season. From the little that is known, it is believed Miller spilled a urine test and then would give another sample that was extremely diluted, which would trigger a failed test. However, none of this matters. All of the details at this point are irrelevant. Sulking over the suspension isn't going to help. No crying over spilled pee, right?

Miller's absence is clearly not ideal, but there's a bit of good that can come out of it. Second year player Danny Trevathan will now have a chance to show off his talents. Starting weakside linebacker Wesley Woodyard will move to inside linebacker and Danny Trevathan will take Woodyard's spot at weakside linebacker. Backup inside linebacker Nate Irving is expected to take Miller's spot at strongside linebacker.

Trevathan, much like mentor Wesley Woodyard, was an undrafted free agent when he came to the Denver Broncos in 2012. The knock on the Kentucky grad coming out of college was that he is just too undersized at 6 foot and 240 pounds. However, don't buy into that crap. Trevathan played in the SEC. The SEC is head and shoulders above any other conference in NCAAF and has been for years. During his final two seasons at Kentucky, Trevathan  led his team in tackles and even led all of the SEC in tackles his final season.

Like in college, Trevathan would make an impact for the Denver Broncos his first year in 2012. Trevathan found himself on the field playing defensive snaps for the last 14 games, which is very rare for an undrafted rookie. He would finish second in tackles for Broncos rookies with 33 tackles, just 7 behind DT Derek Wolfe, who played far more significant time than Trevathan.

There's no doubt Trevathan is a sure tackler, but he was used much more in the passing game. Trevathan's job was primarily covering, playing 60% of his 244 snaps in pass coverage. The other 40% was in pass rush and run stop combined. Although Trevathan was thrown in the fire, he would show flashes of being a great coverage linebacker in 2012. He did get beat at times, but limited damage by giving up few yards after catch. And to be perfectly honest, compared to the other Bronco linebackers in coverage, even as a rookie, Trevathan was still one of the best options Denver had. That is why he played nearly two thirds of his snaps in coverage.

So instead of crying about Miller's suspension, it could be worse. It's next man up and Trevathan is primed to impress.

Load