The Denver Broncos made their first moves of many roster casualties over the next day. Here are the roster transactions so far in descending order:
1. Cornerback Aaron Hester was the first waived according to ESPN's Adam Caplan. Hester was an undrafted free agent out of UCLA. The Denver Broncos are pretty deep in their secondary and it was tough for Hester to climb up the depth chart. It also didn't help that Hester struggled mightily in the preseason game against the St. Louis Rams.
2. Shortly after announcing the news on Hester, second year WR Gerell Robinson got waived as well per ESPN Denver's Chris Bianchi. Robinson had a terrific year in training camp and even made some memorable plays in preseason. More specifically last night against the St. Louis Rams when Robinson had 5 catches for 99 yards and a touchdown. Unfortunately for Robinson, the Broncos are just too strong at wide receiver and they'll only be expected to keep 5 on the active 53 man roster. The Broncos are also invested in 2013 5th round pick WR Tavarres King.
3. The Denver Broncos also have filed with the NFL to reach an injury settlement with undrafted free agent Quincy McDuffie. Prior to the decision to release McDuffie, the Broncos had hoped to move McDuffie to the practice squad. With McDuffie gone, Robinson is a prime candidate to land on the practice squad if no other team picks him of waivers.
4. Running back Lance Ball makes the first running back cut for the Broncos. Lance Ball tweeted out this statement of his release:
"Closing another chapter in my book, thanks to the Broncos Organization for the years of great memories and also the fans who supported me!"
Ball has spent the last 3 years with the Denver Broncos. Through his short career, Ball was peppered into the starting lineup. However, he made most of his moments as a solid special teams guy. Ball is talented enough to still find another team. Hopefully he gets the chance.
5. Rookie WR Laamar Thomas has been waived. Thomas was an undrafted free agent out of New Mexico
6. LB Damien Holmes has been waived Friday. Holmes played his college days at UCLA and was brought in by the Broncos on a mimicamp try out.
7. OL/DT Ben Garland has been waived according to Denver Post writer Mike Klis. Garland was an undrafted free agent in 2010 out of Air Force. Shortly after signing, Garland would have to serve his 2 year obligation to the Air Force. Garland would come back to Denver after his duty on the practice squad. Garland move to the offensive line for a stint this offseason, but was moved back the to defensive tackle recently. It is possible Garland could be a practice squad participant again.
As more cuts are being reported, they'll be reported.